Thursday, November 5, 2009

La Peluquería

Okay, so I know I have posted a lot within the past 24 hours, but I just thought that this was a pretty momentous occasion so I would post a blog about it.

For the past few weeks, I have barely been able to see because my bangs have gotten so long so this afternoon I got my hair cut at the "peluquería." Despite my 30 min conversation at lunch with my mamá where she attempted to teach me the words and phrases I needed to know in order to get my hair cut the way I wanted it, I didn't remember any of it and therefore none of it was helpful.

When I got there I sat down and was like "uhh I don't know how to speak Spanish so... (using hand motions) I want this shorter, this shorter, this in layers (although I didn't know the word for layers.. so I just motioned and she knew what I meant)."

She did a great job... but it is definitely a Spanish style haircut. It is not bad, it is just definitely not what I am used to. Before I left, she blow dried it for me and used a straightener to flip out the top layers... ummm definitely not something that I normally do. As all my friends said, I definitely looked more Spanish at that point.

Anyway, even though I was super scared to go in and get it cut, it was something that had to be done and I did it all by myself and communicated to the best of my ability and I even learned something along the way, aka Spanish vocab words for in the hair salon.


Its short and still a little flipped out... earlier it was definitely much more prevalent. But alas, I can see again!

For those of you who haven't been to the hair salon yet but will eventually need to go... here are just a few words that would have been helpful for me:
flequillo = bangs
a capas = layers
melena = long (well.. mane but it pertains to long hair)
liso = smooth (at the end, when she is going to blow dry it, she asks you what you want done with it, liso is just the basic blow dry with minimal styling and no extra product... at least that was my interpretation)

No comments:

Post a Comment