Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Los Egan-Shaws Viajan a España

Last week, my dad's side of the family was in town. I can't believe how wonderfully lucky I am that my entire immediate family came to visit me while I was here. First Mommy and Jeffy, and most recently Daddy, Cindy, Caitlin, Kelley, Liana, Aunt Kathe, and Carol. Wow, what a wonderful week!!

I was so excited when I got to see Daddy early on Sunday, and then the rest of the family later that day. I almost cried (okay, I cried a little... but I don't know if anybody else saw me...)!

The entire group came out to Valladolid for Monday-Wednesday. They hung out, shopped, and hopefully enjoyed themselves. Kelley bought a super cute leather jacket, Caitlin bough a cute shirt (if I remember correctly), and Liana got to (briefly) see the large amounts of peacocks that wander through Camp Grande. We got to take Maryn out to lunch and my mamá out to dinner. Eva (my mamá) spoke English the entire time with my family and it was really weird to speak to her in a language other than Spanish! I wish I could speak Spanish the way she speaks English.

 
 
Liana with the "pavos reales" (aka Peacocks)

On Wednesday, the entire family headed back to Madrid. That day we got to have Hard Rock Café for lunch and it was absolutely wonderful. I had a huge plate of ribs, a raspberry margarita, nachos, and french fries!!!

 The family (minus yours truly) at the Hard Rock Café, Madrid

That night, the four sisters and Daddy all headed out to the Real Madrid vs. Zurich fútbol game. The Zurich fans were absolutely out of control! They were so loud. The game was a whole bunch of fun and we got to see Cristiano Ronaldo play even though he has been injured for a while. My guess is that Coach wanted to give him practice before the big Real Madrid vs. Barcelona game that was on Sunday.

Sisters at the Real Madrid game

Cristiano Ronaldo <3

Thursday, we went to the Thyssen museum that had a cool exhibit that displayed many different pieces of art that portrayed females and our status through history. I really enjoyed the photographs. They were very cool.

Daddy and his girls on the way to the Thyssen. It was raining, nobody had umbrellas (well, I did, but I am holding Aunt Kathe's so that the picture works better), so we purchased some at one of the souvenir shops. Each member of my family is now the proud owner of a brightly colored Madrid "paraguas".

After the museum, we went and saw the palace and then headed to Thanksgiving lunch at what is supposedly the oldest restaurant in the world, Botin. Apparently Hemingway was a fan. We got to have absolutely wonderful food, wine, dessert, and company. This Thanksgiving I was thankful for my family being able to visit me, everybody being safe and healthy and together, my experiences in Spain, and the people that I have surrounding me every single day I am here.

The most amazing sisters in the entire world. I am thankful for each and every one of them and I love them with all my heart.

Botin

That day was such a long day, and it didn't end there! Us four girls went and toured around the shopping areas near Plaza Mayor and bought a few things each. I got a new pair of boots, as did Liana, and Caitlin got shoes. We found a really cute hand made store and we bought a few different hair clips each. I even wore my hair clips the rest of the night! That's right... I had my hair up for the entire night.

My last night with them, we all spent sitting at a little bar, drinking whatever drinks we ordered, and listening to stories. Sitting with my sisters and my parents and my un-biological aunts, laughing, talking about different parts of life, and just spending time together was absolutely wonderful. We even got into a conversation with the waitress about Pork Rinds. It was interesting and I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

The family at McDonals after the little bar.. yeah, I know, healthy.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early on Friday so that I wouldn't miss any more Spanish class and so that I could go to the wine museum Peñafiel with Cal Poly (that is another entry). I was sad to say goodbye to my family, but seeing them made me realize that I can get through the next three weeks until I get to see them again. Although I am a little home sick, I am living every moment here to the fullest. I love this country and the friends and family I have developed here, but I really miss my home and my real family and my friends back home.

There is so much more that I have to write about, but that should be for other entries. It is midnight here, and I need to sleep so I can wake up early and pay attention in my Spanish classes tomorrow. The next few entries will hopefully come within the next 24 hours because after that, Maryn, Helena, and I leave for Italy!!!

Hasta luego, vos amo <3

No comments:

Post a Comment